DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Attack Cat: <i>The Ice Harvest</i> @ The Arclight

Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Ice Harvest @ The Arclight

I haven't posted in a long time and I've done a bunch of stuff since the last time I posted so I'm going to be writing about stuff but not necessarily in the order it happened.

* * *


Went to see The Ice Harvest tonight. I liked it but not as much as I thought I might. I think I was thinking it was going to be funnier and while it's funny, it's a lot darker than it is funny.

I haven't read much about it, but the combination of director Harold Ramis and actors John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton suggested the funny, but it's a lot more like A Simple Plan, which Thornton was in a few years back, than it is like Groundhog Day or Caddyshack. This is not to say that it isn't funny, because there's a lot of funny stuff in it, but even a lot of the funny is darkly humorous.

Cusack and Thornton are great, as is a drunk-ass Oliver Platt, but the one face I remember most is that of Connie Nielsen. I always like her, but for some reason I never remember who she is, which is probably good for an actor. Her persona never overshadows her performance. I had no idea who she was through the entire film until I saw the credits. Perhaps it was the American accent that this Danish beauty put on for this part. Maybe it was because her performance was so reminiscent of a young Lauren Bacall that I was thrown off. I have no idea if it was intentional, but she sounded and even looked a little like Bacall, circa To Have and Have Not.

I've written previously of my love of Lauren Bacall, so I won't go into it again here, but suffice to say, Nielsen really hit her Bacall tribute on the head in this film. You can see images of Nielsen looking Bacall-esque on the pain-in-the-ass to navigate Flash interface on the official site.

* * *


More movies, more music, maybe some food and definitely more Trojans to come.
 
 
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Neal Romanek said...

Both Connie Nielsen and Craig T. Nelson were in "The Devil's Advocate", yet miraculously the two are not in any way related! For one, Connie is Danish, whereas Craig is not Danish.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob, I have to say it: You are seriously falling down on the blog.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home